Once again, in part 3 of his live blogging, Pete Grasso delivers—what a tremendous job he has done. This is excellent reportage. So many of the articles yesterday and this morning are disappointing; they collectively sound puzzled, sarcastic, and depressingly full of misrepresentations.
Today Pete summarizes the bed bug summit’s group recommendations (the meeting split into 10 groups yesterday afternoon).
These simple bullet points are required reading. This is how we’re going to solve our problems. This discussion is vital, even the disagreements, which are probably both unavoidable and healthy and have occurred in at least one other large meeting of stakeholders.
Here’s just one group’s recommendations:
Group Nine Recommendation Highlights
- Form a committee or panel to explore adopting best practices and guidelines for pest management industry drawing from previously developed materials
- Educate medical community to prevent misdiagnosis
- Design national outreach and education program (Web site) for first responders
- Establish voluntary standards at a national level for accreditation for bed bug specialists to help people find qualified PMPs
- Dedicate more money for bed bug research
- Hold a second, follow-up bed bug summit
You have to read the rest.
Heartfelt thanks to Pete for putting us as close to the room as we could possibly get. His live blog posts yesterday definitely kept us from feeling sorry for ourselves for not being there! Be sure to read Part 1 and Part 2.